Summer Family Fun at The MERL
This summer, enjoy family events, trails, activities, crafts and more at The Museum of English Rural Life!
- Join us for the The MERL Family Picnic event on the theme of caring for nature and each other
- Come and visit farm animals from Miller’s Ark Farm in The MERL garden
- Meet Mr Palmer and enjoy a short performance at our event Biscuit Town: Meet Mr Palmer
- Book a space on Museums, My Way (themed sessions for neurodiverse visitors of all ages)
- Discover our new Summer Family Activity Pack: Caring for Nature aged 5+ (£4 per pack)
- Enjoy our Biscuit Town Activity Pack aged 5+ (£3 per pack)
- Have a go at a variety of garden trails including our Summer Garden Trail of Bees and a woodland brass rubbing trail
- Come and see a model farm in the herb garden
- Have fun on the fabulous wooden play-on tractor and wagon
Enjoy a selection of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches and snacks in our café.
You are welcome to bring a picnic to enjoy in the garden. Picnic benches with parasols are available, or bring a picnic mat and sit on our lovely lawn!
Please note that The MERL car park can fill up quickly at busy times. Parking is also available in the University car park on Acacia Road, adjacent to the museum. Please collect a permit from reception on arrival if parking in Acacia Road car park.
We encourage visitors to use public transport wherever possible. Please visit our Getting Here page for details.
Learn about The MERL’s focus for 2022, CARE: highlighting how we take care of rural heritage, the countryside’s future, and each other.