NEW: The MERL Green Explorers
New monthly nature and bushcraft sessions for families
The MERL Green Explorers sessions provide an amazing opportunity for children aged 5+ to experience nature and build their outdoor skills.
Led by Charlotte, a local environmental education teacher and Level 3 Forest Leader, sessions are themed around the museum collections and our changing seasons. Activities vary each session but will include shelter building, finding out all about the birds, animals and insects, identifying animals from the clues they leave behind, woodcraft tool use, insect discovery and preparing snacks and craft activities linked to the garden using natural materials.
These sessions will allow children and adults to connect and build their confidence, while creating positive relationships with their natural environment, encouraging them to grow up willing and able to protect it.
What to bring
- Payment for the session (£7 per participating child)
- Suitable clothing for you all (Wet-weather gear and sun protection as appropriate; the session will remain outdoors, whatever the weather!)
- Water bottle
- Snacks will be provided for children (adults may wish to bring your own)
Tickets and age suitability
Sessions are run on a monthly pay-as-you-go basis, but you will need to book in advance. Bookings open on the Sunday two weeks ahead of each session. See below for dates.
The activities are designed for children aged 5 and over, so are not suitable for younger siblings. For children under 5, we recommend Friday Fledglings instead. Families must book at least one child ticket and one (free) adult ticket per session. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Bookings for the session open on Sunday 12th February 2023.
Dates of future sessions
The MERL Green Explorers sessions will run on the last Sunday of the month:
- 26th February (bookings open 12th February)
- 26th March (bookings open on 12th March)
- 30th April (bookings open on 16th April)
- 28th May (bookings open on 14th May)
- 25th June (bookings open on 11th June)