HALF TERM HOLIDAYS AT THE MERL
COME AND VISIT THE MUSEUM AND ENJOY ACTIVITIES IN THE GALLERIES AND GARDEN
VISIT THE MERL THIS HALF TERM FOR TRAILS, EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
Things to do in the Museum
- Explore the galleries and discover the fascinating displays and interactive games
- Try out our ever-popular Rat and Rodent Trail
- Get your hands on real museum objects with our Object Handling volunteers (check back for dates/times)
- Have a go at making a brass rubbing of the farming cycle (occasionally the Learning Studio is in use and this activity is unavailable)
- Play with games and toys, including a model farm in the Welcome Area
- Try on costumes, inspired by historic farming and countryside photographs
Things to do in the garden
- Have a go at the outdoor woodland brass rubbing trail
- Discover the Shepherd’s Hut in the garden, full of beautiful knitted decorations and animals to play with, all created by the Mewes Knitters
- Have fun on the fabulous wooden play-on tractor & wagon
- Have a picnic (brrr!)
Special half term family events
- Tuesday 29th October: Virtual vs Reality – object handling and VR!
- Weds 30 October: The MERL Half Term Workshops – String Art
- Thurs 31 October: The MERL Half Term Workshops – Lino Printing
- Friday 1st November: The MERL Family Event: Autumnal Animals
Enjoy a selection of drinks and snacks from our cafe. Sandwiches and snacks will be available throughout the holidays.
You are welcome to bring a picnic to enjoy in the garden. Picnic benches are available or bring a picnic mat and sit on the lovely, big lawn!
Please note that the museum’s car park can fill up quickly at busy times. Parking is also available in the University car park on Acacia Road, adjacent to the museum. Please collect a permit from reception on arrival.
We encourage visitors to use public transport wherever possible. Please visit our Getting Here page for details.