- The Museum is fully wheelchair-accessible with:
- a step-free entrance with automatic door
- step-free access to the Archive and Library Reading Room
- lifts for all stairs (PLEASE NOTE: Lift access to first floor galleries is unavailable due to a fault as of 18/01/2019. It is being fixed as a matter of urgency)
- We have two bays reserved for disabled parking in front of the Museum, and three available in the adjoining Acacias Road
- An adult-sized wheelchair is available for free loan during your visit
- Portable seating for use in the galleries
- Two fully accessible toilets
- Assistance available for those with hearing impairments at our talks and events
- Assistance dogs welcome
- We do not currently offer large-type booklets of our gallery interpretation or audio guides, but we are working to make these available soon
Visitors with autism
The MERL is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for those with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and their families. We are actively trying to improve our accessibility in this area, and welcome any feedback on our resources and plans for future quiet opening hours on this survey:
We have prepared various downloadable resources which will help prepare you for your visit to the MERL:
- The MERL Sensory Map shows you what you can expect, how bright areas of the museum are, where there are loud sounds and what opportunities there are to interact with exhibitions.
- The MERL Social Story walks you through every area of the Museum, what each area is for and the kind of activities you can take part in.
The MERL Google Streetview tour
The tour below is made up of a series of 360° photographs that take you around the Museum and our garden. Start the tour by clicking here or using the window below, and then navigate around the Museum by clicking around or using the arrow keys on your keyboard. It is best viewed on desktop.
The Museum of English Rural Life is accessible to a wide range of visitors and we always strive to meet the access needs of everyone who visits us. If you have a specific need which you would like to ask us about, please contact us.