Developed with Autism Berkshire, Museums, My Way sessions at Reading Museum and The Museum of English Rural Life allow neurodivergent visitors of all ages to explore both museums in a safe environment. We offer different types of sessions, so that you can choose to enjoy the museums your way. Whatever the type of event or activity, if you see the new Museums, My Way badge, you can be confident that the session has been designed with your needs in mind.
When you see the Museums, My Way ‘badge’, you will know that the organisation has agreed to:
- have a dedicated lead member of staff trained in neurodiversity awareness at each activity or event
- ensure that volunteers and other public facing staff are briefed in neurodiversity awareness
- provide sunflower lanyards for visitors who wish to wear one for the duration of the activity or event
- provide a social story for the venue
- provide a visual timetable for the activity or event
- provide access to a breakout space, and adult and child ear defenders
- provide access to sensory backpacks and sensory gadgets
- provide collection-based self-led and / or staffed activities that are suitable for all ages
- have a current Access Policy that is reviewed annually
- review and adapt sessions to develop responsively to feedback
Our partner venues
At The MERL, the free, bookable sessions take place on selected Mondays when the museum is usually closed to the public or are less busy. Find out more about the MERL sessions When possible, we also deliver the above ‘Museums, My Way’ standards to other events that we run. Look out for the ‘badge’ on our What’s On page. Visit our Access page for help planning your visit.
At Reading Museum, you can drop-in to a break-out space any time during your visit on any Saturday. Find out more about the Reading Museum sessions
At The Curve in Slough, occasional events are held designed for neurodivergent visitors. Look out for events at The Curve
Museums, My Way is part of The MERL and Reading Museum’s Arts Council funded programme, Museums Partnership Reading.