Wantage Engineering Company
The firm that was to become the Wantage Engineering Company Ltd was established on 28th July 1847. It had several names – P & H P Gibbons, Gibbons & Robinson, Robinson & Auden Ltd – before the name was changed to the Wantage Engineering Co Ltd at the turn of the century.
It was located in the White Horse Vale and became well known as a manufacturer of steam-driven and horse-drawn agricultural machinery. By the 1900’s the firm reputation was worldwide and it had won awards for its steam engines and thrashing machines.
The records cover the period 1842-1980 and consist of accounts, administrative and commercial records, legal records of companies and businesses, manufacturing and production records, publications and advertising, social and personal records, drawings, photographic records, and records of shows and exhibitions.