Open Spaces Society (OSS)
In 1899 the Commons Preservation Society amalgamated with the National Footpaths Society, adopting the title Commons Open Spaces and Footpath Preservation Society. The shortened name, Open Spaces Society was adopted in the 1980s. The society promoted important pieces of legislation, including the Commons Acts of 1876 and 1899. Today, its principal task is advising local authorities, Commons committees, voluntary bodies, and the general public on the appropriation of commons and other open spaces. It also scrutinises applications that affect public rights of way. It has no branch organisation but works with local and regional bodies. Its membership, therefore, is small. The society also publishes a quarterly journal as well as a wide variety of literature.
Contains administrative records, legal reports and papers, publications of the society, publications of other organisations, parliamentary papers, maps, photographic transparencies, and social and personal records.
- Full descriptions are available on our online database SR OSS and SR 2OSS
- Handlists for each deposit of the collection can be found here: SR OSS and SR 2OSS
- See also the Open Spaces Society website
Bernard Selwyn (D SEL)
Bernard Selwyn was the Vice President of the Open Spaces Society. He was a chartered surveyor with the Greater London Council. He was a member of the executive committee of the Open Spaces Society (1982-2006), the parliamentary agent (1993-2005) and the spokesman for London.
A full description is available on our online database.
A handlist for the whole collection can be found here.